Welcome to our Blog!

This is where we will share our children's health opinion pieces, advice, tips and tricks, resources and so much more. Check back here frequently for the latest baby and child health news and insight from us!

By CPRAdmin
25 Mar, 2019

Button Batteries – do you know the dangers?

“Inside the battery compartment of mini remote controls, small calculators, watches, remote keyless entry, flameless candles, singing greeting cards and other electronics, maybe a very powerful coin-sized button battery. When swallowed, these batteries can get stuck in the throat and cause severe burns. Small children often have easy access to these devices, and many parents do not know there is a risk.”

A button battery left on a piece of bacon for 2 hours…

Above is an image of a button battery left on a piece of bacon for 2 hours.

Button Batteries are in many household items. From musical birthday cards to remote controls, hearing aids to car keys and children’s toys, you can almost guarantee you will have them in your home.

If a child swallows a button battery, not only is it a choking risk, button (lithium ion) batteries can cause severe burns to the oesophagus, stomach and digestive tract.

In Australia, an estimated 4 children per week present to an emergency department with an injury related to a button battery. Kids under 5 years old represent the greatest risk.

Please make sure that you keep button batteries out of reach, and if you suspect your child has swallowed a button battery, follow the first aid guidelines:


  • Call 000 – Ambulance. Tell the operator that it might be a coin-sized button battery.
  • At the hospital, if possible, provide the medical team with the identification number found on the battery’s pack.
  • Do not let the child eat or drink until an X-ray can determine if a battery is present.
  • Do not induce vomiting.

You can watch our Facebook Live video on button battery safety here:

FREE VIDEO: Choking First Aid for Babies and Children

In this video paediatric nurse and founder of CPR Kids Sarah Hunstead steps you through the prevention, recognition and response to choking in babies and children. Essential knowledge for every family that you don’t want to miss.

    CPR Kids News

    Sign up to receive our monthly newsletter, as well as exclusive offers and important updates.

      Accredited training courses are offered by The First Aid Group RTO 32268 and delivered under a third party agreement by CPR Kids. For further information please see http://www.thefirstaidgroup.com.au/learner/


      Book into any of our public classes for 4 or more people with code 4FOR15OFF and get 15% off.

      Babies and breastfeeding are always welcome in our classes